Key terms

Top  Next
hmtoggle_plus1 Accommodation unit

Defined in section 197 of the Local Government Act 2002 as:

"means units, apartments, or rooms in 1 or more buildings for the purpose of providing overnight, temporary, or rental accommodation"


Note: includes cabins and other residential structures on a camp ground


A grouping of council functions required for development contributions as listed in Schedule 1 of the 2015 contributions policy

hmtoggle_plus1Aged care room

Any dwelling unit in a “rest home” or “hospital care institution” as defined in section 58(4) of the Health and Disability Service (Safety) Act 2001


Defined in section 218 of the Resource Management Act 1991 as:

“any parcel of land under the Land Transfer Act 1952 that is a continuous area and whose boundaries are shown separately on a survey plan, whether or not: (i) the  subdivision  shown  on  the  survey  plan  has  been  allowed,  or subdivision approval has been granted, under another Act; or (ii) a subdivision consent for the subdivision shown on the survey plan has been granted under the Resource Management Act 1991; or any parcel of land or building or part of a building that is shown or identified separately; (i) on a survey plan; or (ii) on a licence within the meaning of Part 7A of the Land Transfer Act 1952; or any unit on a unit plan; or any parcel of land not subject to the Land Transfer Act 1952"

hmtoggle_plus1Attached dwelling unit - low rise

A dwelling in a development of up to four levels and three or more attached dwelling units

hmtoggle_plus1Attached dwelling unit - medium to high rise

A dwelling in a development of five or more levels and three or more attached dwelling units


Land use associated with:

communication services
services to finance and investment
real estate
business services
central government administration
public order and safety services
local government administration services and civil defence (e.g. police stations, fire stations, ambulance)
commercial offices (e.g. office building)
hmtoggle_plus1Detached dwelling unit

A stand-alone or duplex dwelling in a development (maximum of two dwelling units)

hmtoggle_plus1Dwelling or dwelling unit

Any building or group of buildings or any part of those buildings, that:

is used or intended to be used solely or principally for residential purposes;
is occupied or intended to be occupied by not more than one household
hmtoggle_plus1Education and health

Land uses associated with (but not limited to):

Health and community health services whether public or private


For example: universities, primary/intermediate/secondary schools,

tertiary institutions, day care centres, child care centres, pre schools, kindys, hospitals, doctors surgeries, medical centres, language schools, trade schools (such as hair or mechanics schools)

hmtoggle_plus1Funding area

A geographical area used to accumulate the cost of activities and define a part of Auckland for development contribution purposes. For stormwater this includes any future development which extends the area served by a stormwater network

hmtoggle_plus1Gross development area [or GDA]

Gross development area equals:


1) The total floor area of any building measured from the outer faces of the exterior walls, or the centre line of walls separating two abutting buildings




2) The area of any part of the allotment used solely or principally for the storage, sale, display, movement or servicing of goods or the provision of services on the allotment.


The gross development area does not include:


vehicular parking ancillary to the primary development,  manoeuvring, loading and landscaping areas, and areas used only for primary production purposes (such as quarry workings, farm lands and orchards) the conversion of which to another use would require resource consent or building consent; and
the area of plant equipment servicing the site and network infrastructure including pipes, lines installations, roads, water supply, wastewater and stormwater collection and management systems


For the avoidance of doubt, the gross development area includes the areas occupied by network utility operators for carrying out their normal business, including offices, workshops warehouses and any outside areas.

hmtoggle_plus1Gross Floor Area [or GFA]

The gross floor area is the total internal floor area of a dwelling measured:

from the exterior faces of the exterior walls, or
from the centre lines of walls separating two buildings or tenancies excluding parking and garage areas
hmtoggle_plus1Household unit equivalent [or HUE]

The unit of demand that creates an equivalency factor between a type of development and one average detached dwelling unit (household unit)

hmtoggle_plus1Impervious surface area [or ISA]

The area of any site which is not capable of absorbing rainwater

hmtoggle_plus1Lawfully established


allotment for which a title has been issued; or
any dwelling, or non-residential unit or building authorised under the Resource Management Act 1991 and with a building consent and, where required, a code compliance certificate

The point in time at which an application that complies with all the requirements in section 88(2) of the Resource Management Act 1991 or section 45 of the Building Act 2004, has been received by the council

hmtoggle_plus1Production and distribution, excluding unmanned infrastructure

Includes but is not limited to:

Land uses in which goods are manufactured, fabricated, processed, converted, repaired, packaged, assembled, stored, distributed or serviced including but not limited to:

horticulture, agriculture, mining, quarrying, forestry, fishing, services to agriculture, oil and gas exploration and extraction, water supply and wastewater processing,  electricity generation and supply
meat and meat product manufacturing, dairy product manufacturing
food, beverage, malt and tobacco manufacturing, textile and apparel, wood product, paper and paper product manufacturing
printing  and publishing
petroleum and industrial chemical, rubber, plastic and other chemical product manufacturing
metal, structural, sheet, and fabricated metal product manufacturing
transport equipment, machinery and equipment manufacturing
furniture manufacturing
construction, wholesale trade, road transport, water and rail transport, air transport, services to transport and storage
hmtoggle_plus1Retail, hospitality, recreation and personal services

Land use associated with:

Retail trade
Restaurants and bars
Cultural and recreational services
Personal and other community services
Campsites and non-residential structures on a camp ground


For example: restaurants, shops, showrooms, food retail, post offices, takeaway food bars, dentists, hair salons, dairies, supermarkets, food markets, retail trade, bars / taverns, pool halls, bowling alleys, function centres, cinemas, entertainment centres, gymnasiums, fitness centres and bakeries

hmtoggle_plus1Retirement unit

Any dwelling unit in a retirement village (other than an aged care room)

Note: Includes Kaumatua housing on the same site as marae or papakainga

hmtoggle_plus1Small ancillary dwelling unit

The first dwelling unit ancillary to the primary dwelling unit on an allotment with a gross floor area of 60m2 or less


Household Unit Equivalent (HUE). The unit of demand that creates an equivalency factor between a type of development and one detached dwelling unit (household unit)

hmtoggle_plus1Unmanned infrastructure

Any infrastructure provided by a network utility operator (as defined by section 166 of the Resource Management Act 1991) that is not intended to be staffed by employees, agents or contractors on a permanent basis and includes, but is not limited to substations, pump stations, dams and reservoirs, plant and machinery, storage yards, cell-phone towers, roads, railways, wharfs, and runways.

hmtoggle_plus1Student accommodation

Living accommodation, primarily used or designed to be used by registered students or guests of tertiary education facilities or education